The Associate Editor, Hotels, plays a key role in executing AFAR’s editorial vision by developing, assigning, writing, and editing stories for both digital and print. AFAR publishes thoroughly researched, up-to-date, and deeply reported service journalism that meets travelers at every step of their travel planning journey—from dreaming and consideration to booking. We tell these stories through the lens of travel as a force for good, written for our ever-expanding audience of bright, well-seasoned travelers who care about the planet and the communities they visit. AFAR readers are curious, responsible, intrepid, and discerning travelers who want their travel experiences to reflect their values. They seek joyful experiences that enrich their own lives—and the lives of others. The ideal candidate will possess 3+ years of editorial experience, and have contacts in the travel lifestyle category (specifically hotels).
- Develops, assigns, writes, edits, and publishes hotel articles for AFAR.com and AFAR magazine.
- Recruits and maintains a roster of diverse freelance writers with deep expertise
- Helps to develop and edit a slate of recurring and engaging hotel article rubrics
- Coordinates and writes email newsletters focused on hotels
- Participates in regular digital content brainstorms and lineup planning meetings to create new ideas that help differentiate AFAR from the competition
- Represents AFAR at conferences
- Participates in print issue planning and relevant package development meetings
- Collaborates with edit, art, and photo teams in the shaping and execution of print-to-web packages
- Smart editorial instincts with an ability to spot and execute on great story ideas that resonate with AFAR’s audience (and know what makes a hotel right for AFAR coverage)
- Proven writing and editing skills and a portfolio of published pieces
- Excellent organizational, communication, and time management skills.
- An orientation towards high-quality professional journalism with strong reporting skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
The role is remote but will be based in the New York area to easily attend press events, meeting, conferences, etc.
Salary for this role will start at $60k per year
All new or rehired AFAR employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.