Callisto is a Tech-Media company that leverages billions of data points to discover what people are looking for and then create compelling content experiences that can transform lives. We apply this technology to the publishing space and have become the 5th largest non-fiction publisher in the world. Over time, it is our ambition to bring this predictive demand tech to other content markets to revolutionize how content is originated and created. We are unique because our foundation and focus are on the consumer– from mainstream populations to groups that traditional companies believe are too small or economically unfeasible to address.
We are looking for ambitious Managing Senior Editors to join our Editorial Production team to lead a team of Editors in the development of book projects in our data-driven creative process.
Ideal candidates have publishing managing editor experience and have successfully led Editorial teams to partner with authors, editors, designers and freelancers to create distinctive new content. This role is for Managing Senior Editors who are ready to take on new challenges, are interested in innovating how book publishing works, and enjoy leading teams working in collaborative, adaptive, high-energy creative environments.
The primary responsibility of this role is to lead an Editing team in the development of high-quality content to bring joy to our customers. As Managing Senior Editor, you will be expected to support the Executive Editor and serve as backup when required.
What you’ll do
- Manage Editorial team day-to-day operations inline with production goals, schedules and budgets.
- Lead onboarding, training, management, mentoring, and development of Editorial teams.
- Build a network and establish collaborative partnerships with a creative freelance network.
- Work from strategic plans to establish editorial production direction for book development projects.
- Own and lead numerous book development lifecycles, partnering cross-organizationally to achieve strategy and cycle time goals.
- Work with Editors developing and finalizing manuscripts, from substantive structural feedback to line edits.
- Define, develop and align Editorial teams with cross-functional standard operating practices.
- Establish and administer content style, tone and editorial direction, managing Editors to required standards.
- Apply critical thinking to identify strategic and tactical issues and establish prioritization and focus for Editorial teams.
- Apply project management techniques in the planning and allocation of resources against activities and schedules.
What you’ll bring to the role
- Experience aligning teams in a customer-focused mission-driven adaptive environment.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, and application of data to make informed decisions.
- Ability to manage multi-location teams and networks of Editorial staff and freelance creatives.
- Project management skills to define and manage book development initiatives and resource allocations.
- You have a sense of urgency and convey your ambition to achieve to your team in a positive, results-oriented way.
- You’re committed to a culture of constant innovation and improvement and can mentor team members through periods of change.
- You can lead through persuasion and partnership.
- You can work across teams levels departments to drive results and champion our core values.
- Thoughtful leadership to balance strategic thinking with tactical execution.
- 6 years of editorial experience, with 2 years managing an Editorial team.
Flourish at Callisto
At Callisto, you’re surrounded by smart, open-minded, critical thinkers in a hypergrowth environment with significant challenges every day. You’re part of a group that’s united by a single transformative idea: make the world better.
We believe everyone has a superpower in a universe of unique talent. Diversity is how we unleash people’s talent and superpowers. Callisto recognizes an obligation to foster a safe and inclusive workplace where talent can grow and be recognized for their individuality and contributions. We strive to provide opportunities for skills development and growth based on contributions, accomplishments, and the embodiment of core values.
Join us! Where data drives our decisions. Where we’re entrepreneurial and focused. Where we put our customers first. Where culture matters. Where idea-loving, impact-making, life-improving, never-stopping disruptors work. And play.
Vaccination is a condition of employment unless there is a legally protected reason for accommodation, in accordance with Callisto Media’s duty to provide a workplace free of known hazards and safeguard our employees, their families, the community at large.
Benefits and Wells
– 100% company-paid health, dental and vision plans for you and your family
– Flexible Time Off
– Generous parental leave
– Life and disability insurance
– Employee assistance programs
– Employee referral program
– Trailblazing company growing +100% each year—the perfect place to jumpstart your career
– Opportunities for professional enrichment and growth
– Competitive salaries and equity compensation, including 401K plan
Diversity & Inclusion
Corporate Diversity Ethos
Diversity is the engine that drives everything we do! Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging (DEI&B) is who we are, why we connect, and how we learn. We intend to ensure DEI&B is woven into the fabric of everything we do. We believe that an intentional focus on DEI&B activates the authenticity of our people, activating their innate superpowers and making way for innovation and creativity. Simply put, our goal is to create, build, and sustain a safe space where our people can be themselves and create from a place of authenticity.
Employee-led Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) Affinity Group Mission
Our mission is to cultivate an engaged and inclusive culture within the community of Callisto employees and our larger Callisto universe, including our readers, contributors, and geographic regions. To achieve this mission, we focus on educating individuals and influencing those who develop Callisto’s policies. In doing so, we aim to attract and retain a diverse staff who can accurately and appropriately serve a diverse range of needs through our products and feel supported in their work.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.