No Starch Press is hiring one full time Production Editor.
Our Production Editor will manage the production of at least 10 books per year. They will demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, multitasking and problem-solving abilities, and knowledge of editorial procedures and the Chicago Manual of Style. They are expected to maintain a high level of care and meticulous attention to detail in a fast-paced environment. Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Set and oversee production schedules and publication dates for assigned titles; track book budgets
Identify and resolve schedule hold-ups; work with Production Manager to revise schedules if necessary
- Clearly communicate and guide authors through the production process; field questions promptly and professionally; escalate issues to Production Manager as needed
- Assess manuscript edits and formatting to ensure house styles are followed and template is applied properly; provide feedback for freelancers
- Evaluate and organize art files; alert authors, editorial, and art services team to potential problems
Assist Production Manager and other Production Editors with page reviews
- Manage ebook preparation and distribution
- Adopt new technologies (e.g., production and project management software) and update internal documentation as needed
- Assist in training new production hires on processes, templates, and file organization
- Participate actively in departmental and company-wide meetings, sharing ideas and suggesting ways to improve workflow
- Minimum five (5) years book production experience
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to maintain a high level of care and meticulous attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional ability to learn and solve problems independently
- Self-motivated, able to meet deadlines, take initiative
- Ability to multitask and maintain flexibility with shifting responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to give and receive clear feedback
- Demonstrated proficiency in copyediting, proofreading, editorial procedures, Chicago
No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is one of the most admired and respected technical book publishing companies in the world. Our independent company continues to turn tech book publishing on its head by opening new markets and demonstrating, time and again, that geeks still love print books.
We value collaboration and creativity, we’re passionate about quality, and we aim to make our readers happy. We seek people who are committed to our ideals and who value quality in everything that they do. As our founder likes to say, “We’re changing the world, one book at a time.”
NOTE: In order to be considered for this position please include a cover letter and resume and tell us why you’re interested in working with us.
Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com