Website Stanford University Press
Stanford University Press (based in Redwood City, CA) is seeking a highly motivated and creative Art Director. The Art Director will work under general supervision of the Editorial, Design, and Production Director and must possess a mix of strong visual aesthetics and organizational skills. This position provides a great opportunity for the right person to update and shape procedures and practices.
The primary focus of the Art Director will be the oversight and creation of 120 to 140 covers per year, acting as designer as well as providing direction of a pool of talented freelance designers. A deep knowledge of the university press, academic, and trade-related markets is much preferred. This individual may also supervise our in-house compositor/designer and provide oversight and direction of the compositor’s work on internal designs.
In addition, the Art Director is responsible for the visual presentation of the Press, which includes foremost the books themselves, but also input into the seasonal catalog, the Press website, and as necessary, public signage.
Finalized covers appear in two seasonal catalogs a year, and it is the Art Director’s responsibility to hold to the marketing department’s printing schedule for the catalogs.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in related field and five years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex, highly creative projects or content requiring extensive subject matter/client knowledge.
- Ability to present portfolio that reflects extensive creative work and project leadership.
- Advanced knowledge of job-required software applications.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively resolve complex problems.
- Ability to manage changing priorities, deadlines, and customer needs.
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to perform detailed work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience leading and training other design staff.
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of industry standards, trends, and technical knowledge.
- Ability to work effectively with others as part of a team.
This is a 100% FTE, continuing, exempt position. Please include a cover letter with your resume.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classifications and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of their job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit careersearch.stanford.edu.