Website Annual Reviews
We are currently seeking a FT Production Editorial Associate who resides in one of the following states: CA, CO, DC, HI, MA, MN, NC, NY, OH, OR, PA, WA, WI.
Annual Reviews (AR) is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society. Our top-ranked journals and highly cited reviews—written by some of the world’s foremost experts in their fields—promote innovation among researchers and advance scientific awareness among journalists, policy makers, business professionals, and others with an interest in the societal impact of research.
We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits. This includes a comprehensive health benefits package for eligible Regular Full-Time (FT) and Regular Part-Time (PT) employees working 20+ hours per week including medical, dental, vision, EAP, and FSA coverage for these employees and their dependents on the first of the month following their hire date. We also offer the following benefits for eligible Regular FT and Regular PT employees working 20+ hours/week: the ability to participate in our retirement plan immediately upon hire and with the first pay period; enrollment in Life/AD&D/STD/LTD insurance coverage on the first of the month following their hire date; great time off benefits for Regular FT employees (which are pro-rated for Regular PT employees working 20+ hours/week), including 10.625 hours/month of vacation time, sick time, and 10 paid holidays + a 5-day paid winter break; after meeting service requirements, opportunities to participate in other employee benefit programs such as our personal enrichment, professional development, matching gifts, and volunteer time off programs; free meditation classes; and most importantly, the ability to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
The Production Editorial Associate supports the Production Department through the following responsibilities, with an emphasis on attention to detail, consistency, and customer service.
- Assists with preparation of materials for journals’ Editorial Committee meetings
- Researches author affiliation and contact information from a variety of sources and performs data entry of that information accurately and in a timely manner
- Creates mail-merge files from a central database
- Logs typeset manuscripts into tracking system
- Prepares front and back matter for Annual Reviews journals as applicable
- Reviews and tracks printer proofs
- Assists with meeting logistics and routine administrative tasks
- Copyedits complex scientific literature reviews in Microsoft Word and/or Overleaf/LaTeX, including copyediting of author-submitted figures, as assigned by Managing Editor
- Carefully verifies and formats references to ensure accuracy so that the sources cited (including journal articles, book chapters, government reports, working papers, and more) can be correctly indexed and discovered
- Reviews and incorporates author changes to literature reviews and proofreads final figures
- Proofreads typeset complex scientific literature reviews and provides feedback in Adobe Acrobat
- Transfers author corrections onto typeset manuscripts and confirms corrections are made correctly by the compositor
- Develops solid working relationships with Production Editors and Managing Editors
- Reports project status to Managing Editors on a regular basis
Qualified candidates must have:
- At least one year of prior journal management or project management experience, preferably at an academic or scholarly publisher
- Experience copyediting and proofreading scholarly manuscripts with careful attention to detail and grammar
- Experience working with and communicating with academic faculty, preferably scientists or engineers
- BS/BA or higher degree strongly preferred
- Demonstrated excellent editing and writing skills, including the ability to adhere to different styles and guidelines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, excellent command of the English language, and the ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact
- A professional demeanor and the ability to develop and maintain long-term business relationships
- A strong work ethic with a demonstrated commitment to producing high quality work
- The ability to exercise sound judgment when making decisions
- Solid organizational and time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines, take direction from multiple individuals, follow through, and manage multiple priorities successfully
- Strong computer and Internet research skills
- The ability to effectively use Word, Excel, and Acrobat to copyedit and proofread articles and related data
- Proficiency in the use of database technology to track data, prepare reports, and generate email mailings
- The ability to frequently use hands to finger or feel and occasionally reach with hands or arms, and the ability to use close vision and color vision and adjust focus while performing the essential job responsibilities.
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Pay Scale: Following is the wage range that Annual Reviews expects to pay for this position:
For the California counties of San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Marin, Alameda, and Contra Costa and New York City:
- Minimum of $27.69 per hour
- Maximum of $28.20 per hour
For the California counties of San Diego, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside, Santa Cruz, Sacramento, Sonoma, Napa, Solano, San Joaquin, Placer, and El Dorado; the Washington counties of Pierce and King; and Denver, CO and Boulder, CO:
- Minimum of $24.92 per hour
- Maximum of $25.38 per hour
For the California counties of Stanislaus and Fresno and all other California counties not mentioned above, all other Washington counties not mentioned above, and anywhere else in Colorado (other than the cities of Denver and Boulder):
- Minimum of $22.70 per hour
- Maximum of $23.12 per hour
Actual compensation for the above locations in CA, WA, CO, and New York City or in the states of OR, DC, HI, MN, MA, NC, NY, PA, OH, or WI will be determined by several factors including but not limited to specific home office geographic location, level of experience, and demonstrated knowledge and skills.
Annual Reviews values the health and welfare of our staff members and their families. While all employees work primarily from their home office location, employees who may be required to come into our San Mateo, CA office periodically or travel elsewhere for business reasons must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for Covid-19 on their first day of employment.
If you wish to request an accommodation due to a disability or a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates the vaccination or you object to being vaccinated on the basis of sincerely held religious beliefs and practices, please contact HR at email@example.com. Annual Reviews will engage in the interactive process to determine if a reasonable accommodation can be provided.
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, age (40 and above), military status, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact the Director of Human Resources at 650-493-4400 x 679 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this phone number or email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, go to the application page link below.
If you are interested in being considered for this position and you meet the qualifications above, please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at:
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Annual Reviews will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply for this job please visit phh.tbe.taleo.net.