Hosted/Organized by: Bay Area Independent Publishers Association
BAIPA monthly meetings are now exclusively on Zoom, at least until we get through this COVID-19 crisis. The Zoom links will be provided to you via email on the Friday evening before 9 PM. So you MUST register in advance in order to participate.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page for the list of available tickets.
The general meeting begins at 9 am, speaker presentation is at 11 am, after Q&A, networking time, introductions & announcements. Scroll down for details and to register. No afternoon workshop for this meeting.
(Click here for the schedule for the day)
Current BAIPA members must log in first to get a free ticket to the morning session. Then come back to this page. There is a Member login link in the upper right corner of the site.
You CAN Tell a Book by Its Cover:
How to make sure your book cover is doing its job — regardless of medium or genre
with David Kudler: author, publisher, and expert provider of design and editorial services to independent publishers
You may not be able to judge a book by its cover — but that doesn’t mean that people don’t every day. Your cover has a very important job to do, so are you sure it’s up to the job?
Longtime BAIPA member (and former BAIPA board member) David Kudler will examine the do’s and don’ts of making sure your cover IS doing its job, He will talk about:
1. The three promises a book cover makes
2. ebook vs. print vs. audiobook covers
3. Online vs. in-hand needs
Also, ALL BAIPA members are invited to participate in our Annual Book Cover Design Contest! Of necessity, we will have to do this a little differently.
Here are the rules and process:
1. The contest is open to any book authored by a current BAIPA member, whether you worked with a designer on the cover or you designed it yourself. Any year of publication is fine. (Even next year, as long as the cover is finished.) However, we can only accept one entry per author.
2. Send a copy of the front cover to email@example.com. At least 1000 pixels wide. The deadline is November 20.
3. We will put the covers together into one or more pdfs that we will display at the meeting, ideally in broad categories (Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Children’s Books). Everyone who is present will get three votes (one for each category). (We’ll use a Zoom poll at the end of the morning session.) There is no fee and the results will be announced at the completion of the Zoom poll, which will take place at 12:15 PM.
The winners in each category will get a free afternoon workshop in 2022. The prize must be used no later than the November 2022 meeting.
Book Cover Design with David Kudler — 12/04/21