Developmental Editor – Remote
Annual Reviews (AR) is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society. We have three main divisions. Best known are our top-ranked journals which publish highly cited reviews written by some of the world’s foremost experts. These articles promote innovation among researchers and advance scientific awareness among journalists, policy makers, business professionals, and others with an interest in the societal impact of research. We also publish a renowned general science publication, Knowable Magazine, which explores the real-world significance of scholarly work through a journalistic lens. Our most recent addition is a series of publications and events for the library community, called the Charleston Hub.
We are currently seeking a full-time Development Editor in the Charleston Hub department. Candidates who are interested in applying for this role need to reside in one of the following states where Annual Reviews is registered to do business: CA, CO, GA, HI, IL, IN, MA, MN, NC, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, WA, or WI.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in library matters and proven flair for storytelling, in both written pieces and infographics. You will help to create compelling, engaging, and highly readable articles for a new librarian-focused publication that provides multifaceted content on Open Science, Talent and Workforce Skills, and Critical Reviews of Products for library and information professionals. Working closely with a team of three Co-Editors and the Departmental Director, you will provide extensive content editing with some rewriting, reorganizing, and reassessing of big-picture storytelling techniques with focus on clarity and flow, narrative shaping, and readability.
Specific responsibilities for this position include:
· Receiving and reviewing long form and short form articles, Q&A’s, or other content types from the Co-Editors on a rolling basis for editorial work in order for the publication to generate approximately 3 articles per week and/or 150 articles per year.
· Editing content for clarity, flow, readability, and narrative shaping to create highly engaging, compelling stories and returning content to authors and Co-Editors for review and finalization.
· Copyediting and proofreading articles
· Working in conjunction with art/graphics team members to provide visually engaging designs or infographics for art development and identify images for use with articles.
· Posting finalized content and graphics on website.
· Managing workflow and deadlines for completion of steps in the editorial process using Airtable or other project management software.
· Editing and contributing to other Charleston Hub publications, such as Against the Grain, as needed.
Qualified candidates must have:
· Three years of developmental, content or structural editing experience working directly with authors or in a publishing environment
· Two years copyediting and proofreading experience and/or training
· Demonstrated exceptional editing, writing, and grammar skills with excellent command of the English language
· Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills Proven ability and capacity to create compelling stories across multidisciplinary fields, in both written pieces and infographics
· Ability to effectively evaluate and identify areas for improvement within an article, clearly and diplomatically provide editorial feedback and successfully guide and shape an article to best appeal to the target audience
· Strong interviewing skills
· Bachelor’s degree, in English, journalism, communications or a related field strongly preferred
· Experience working well with graphic designers or illustrators
· Intermediate proficiency in Office 365 including Word and Excel
· Familiarity with academic libraries/librarianship
· Knowledge of the current publishing and scholarly communications landscape
· Solid organizational and time management skills with the ability to work on tight deadlines and meet multiple deadlines
· A professional demeanor and the ability to develop and maintain long-term business relationships
· Positive, can-do attitude & ability to work effectively in a team environment
· Ability to analyze situations effectively, prioritize tasks, work independently, and self-manage
· Teaching experience as a writing instructor or experience providing feedback on other writers’ work such as in a writing group or as a teacher’s aide preferred
· Experience using Airtable for project management and proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, or other graphic design preferred
· Familiarity with the concepts of Open Science, Talent and Workplace Skills, and Products for library and information professionals preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger or feel and occasionally talk or hear and reach with hands or arms. Vision requirements of this position include: Close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Annual Reviews offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. This includes a comprehensive health benefits package for eligible Regular Full-Time (FT) and Regular Part-Time (PT) employees working 20+ hours per week including medical, dental, vision, EAP, and FSA coverage for these employees and their dependents on the first of the month following their hire date. We also offer the following benefits for eligible Regular FT and Regular PT employees working 20+ hours/week: the ability to participate in our retirement plan immediately upon hire and with the first pay period, enrollment in Life/AD&D/STD/LTD insurance coverage on the 1st of the month following their hire date, great time off benefits for Regular FT employees (which are pro-rated for Regular PT employees working 20+ hours/week), including 10.625 hours/month of vacation time, sick time & 10 paid holidays + a 5-day paid winter break, opportunities to participate in other employee benefit programs after meeting service requirements such as our personal enrichment, professional development, matching gifts, and volunteer time off programs, free meditation classes, and most importantly, the ability to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
Pay Scale: Following is the salary range that Annual Reviews expects to pay for this position:
For the California counties of San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Marin, Alameda, & Contra Costa and for New York City:
Minimum of $78,000 per year
Maximum of $88,000 per year
For the California counties of San Diego, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside, Santa Cruz, Sonoma, Napa, Solano, San Joaquin, Placer, El Dorado and the Washington counties of Pierce and King, and the Denver, CO & Boulder, CO:
Minimum of $70,200 per year
Maximum of $79,200 per year
For the California counties of Stanislaus, Fresno, and all other California counties not mentioned above, all other Washington counties not mentioned above, for anywhere else in Colorado (other than the cities of Denver and Boulder) and the state of Hawaii:
Minimum of $63,960 per year
Maximum of $72,160 per year
Actual compensation will be determined by several factors including but not limited to: level of experience, skills, and specific home office location.
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, age (40 and above), military status, status as a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact the Director of Human Resources at 650-493-4400 x 679 or by email at email@example.com and let her know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this phone number or email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click on each of the following: (1) EEO is the Law Poster, (2) EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, (3) Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Statement, and (4) AR EEO/AA Statement.
If you are interested in being considered for this position and you meet the qualifications above, please submit your cover letter and resume along with 2-3 writing samples (ideally editorial letters, critiques or other feedback provided to authors) via the link below. Note: We are only considering applicants for this position that submit a cover letter and writing samples along with their resume by the application deadline of February 21,2024.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Annual Reviews will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply for this job please visit phh.tbe.taleo.net.