Website The Geological Society Of America
The Geological Society of America seeks to hire a Production and Communications Editor
The Geological Society of America is looking for a Production and Communications Editor to join our Team!
The Geological Society of America (GSA) (https://www.geosociety.org) unites a diverse community of geoscientists in a common purpose to study the mysteries of our planet (and beyond) and share scientific findings. Members and friends around the world, from academia, government, and industry, participate in GSA meetings, publications, and programs at all career levels, to foster professional excellence. GSA values and supports inclusion through cooperative research, public dialogue on earth issues, science education, and the application of geoscience in the service of humankind.
GSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and GSA is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business organization and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in our organizational policies, and the way we do business at GSA, and is an important principle of sound business management. Please see GSA’s Commitment to Diversity.
The Production and Communications Editor is responsible for the editorial, production, and distribution functions of the Society’s print and online member news publication GSA Today, our monthly e-newsletter GSA Connection, and our guest blog Speaking of Geoscience. Displaying a superior ability to build positive relationships, this role will interact with GSA program Directors to provide editorial assistance, helping to ensure that GSA communications are accurate, clear, relevant, and timely. The Production and Communications Editor will also provide media support by writing, editing, and distributing press releases, and helping to maintain GSA’s online newsroom.
Key Essential functions include but are not limited to:
· Manage editorial and most production functions associated with print and online publication of GSA Today – design and monitor workflow and ensure timely publication of 11 issues per year. This includes the ongoing assessment of current business practices associated with editorial and production techniques and implementation as needed;
· Set and maintain editorial production schedules, working with multiple stakeholders across different departments to insure timely submission and publication of varied materials;
· Build and maintain constructive relationships with authors, staff, science editors,
GSA members, and outside vendors;
· Complete administrative duties, such as archiving, maintaining drives, tracking and updating publication data, and preparing reports on metrics and costs as requested;
· Manage, copyedit, produce, and distribute GSA Connection (emailed monthly) and special GSA Connects meeting-related issues of GSA Connection;
· Manage GSA’s guest blog, including writing, editing, and publishing appropriate content.
· Provide editorial services to GSA headquarters staff on a variety of corporate materials in print and online—including production of the GSA Connects meeting program schedule book;
· Help ensure that GSA communications are correct in terms of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and editorial style; and that they maintain a consistent tone and voice;
· Align key messages across communication platforms and serve as a key editor for communications material produced across the department;
· Evaluate, review and evolve key messages to align with organizational strategy and industry and media trends;
· Use web analytics to understand what subject matter resonates with readers to inform editorial planning;
· Contribute to brand success via brainstorming and input during team meetings;
· Collaborate with the Digital Marketing Manager, brand team and others to develop content for GSA’s website and social media profiles.
· Write and/or distribute science-related press releases on GSA publications, meetings, and other Society activities as assigned;
· Cover exciting developments, often going beyond the press release to identify emerging trends and innovation;
· Monitor and compile media coverage on GSA science;
· Update GSA website with coverage about published science and the Connects meeting online newsroom with meeting-related coverage;
· Other duties as assigned.
This position does not supervise others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
· Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in English, journalism, communications, or science;
· Three to five years of professional editorial experience in a publishing environment;
· Highly proficient in the use of personal computers and applications, including database and spreadsheet management, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe applications, Dreamweaver, Google Workspace (or similar), file sharing software, virtual meeting software, and project management software. Familiarity with markup languages (e.g. HTML, XML) preferred;
· Comfortable with learning new software and systems;
· Experience following an internal style guide as well as the Chicago Manual of Style;
· Strong organization skills and demonstrated ability to accurately manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously;
· Excellent communication skills, including writing for print and online consumers, superior copyediting and proofreading, and attention to detail (editorial skills test required);
· Knowledge of and /or interest in science, particularly earth science, preferred;
· Mature judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues;
· Good collaborator with excellent customer service and oral communications skills;
· Experience working with content management systems, e-mail distribution system, and various news release distribution sites preferred;
· Strong project management skills with the ability to achieve results in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, often on short deadlines;
· Ability to take an idea and build it into a cohesive and clear content plan that internal teams and partners can execute against.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
GSA is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, USA, but supports distributed teams.
Occasional travel may be required.
Extensive computer work—six or more hours per day.
The position is full-time. GSA Headquarters is located in Boulder, Colorado. For the right candidate, a business may be conducted remotely with some time required on-site or at meetings. The salary range is $60,000 – $80,000 based on experience. GSA provides excellent benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, life insurance, retirement, and opportunities for professional development.
If you are interested in this position, please go to GSA Career Center to apply and include a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should include why this job appeals to you, a short summary of your relevant experience, whether you will be a local or fully remote candidate, and your salary requirements. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. This posting will remain open until filled. Interested candidates are highly encouraged to apply immediately as this posting may close without notice.
GSA is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in Organization policy and the way we do business at GSA and is an important principle of sound business management. Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disability/veteran.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.